Whos keeping an eye on me....

Wednesday 26 October 2016

South Africa 2016 - Hermanus (Whale Watching)

The last leg of the holiday (for me!, as Liz would stay another week and do some touring with a friend), was to the Whale Watching town of Hermanus. We would stop by at Agulhas and try for a special bird at Rooiels.

The southern most tip of the African Continent
 

 
The drive from Agulhas to Hermanus gives stunning views of the Babilonstoring Mountains 




somewhere along the way a Jackal Buzzard
 

and a Steppe Buzzard
 
 
We arrived in Hermanus and stayed at the wonderful Hermanus Beach Villa guest house, literally yards from the coastal path with views of the Southern Right Whales.
 
Not a bad view from the front of our accommodation...... and the Whale information board along the coastal path
 

 
Close ups of the Southern Right Whales
 
  
 


 
 
 
 
Just above the town is Fernkloof NR, we didn't have time to walk the trails or passes but spend some time at the lower levels in the gardens and picked up some common birds.
 
Cape White-eye
 
Cape Sugarbird 
 
Southern Double-collared Sunbird
 
Malachite Sunbird 

female Malchite Sunbird
 
Olive Thrush
 
What should have been a quick trip to Rooiels took longer than expected, firstly I somehow missed the only turn for the town and then the bird was a little trickier than I anticipated. But three hours later we got it.... or should I say them as we saw a pair.

Somewhere out there is a Cape Rockjumper.  Along way off!


Heavily cropped

Last stop Stony point  penguin Colony ay Bettys Bay.


3 comments:

theconstantwalker said...

Amazing images... I have probably said this before... I was born in Durban South Africa but was only two when my parents returned to the UK.

Liz said...

Wow! What fabulous scenery. I do love whale watching and you have captured some beauties here! Lovely birds as always.
Your header is fabulous!

sanpiseth40 said...

I was born in Durban South Africa but was only two when my parents returned to the UK.


ลา ลีกา สเปน