Whos keeping an eye on me....

Sunday 12 February 2023

Local (ish) Hawfinch

 It has been five years since I last saw a Hawfinch, well at least an alive one. * I did see a stuffed one in a antique shop window last year.... perched next to a Snow Bunting also long since passed.

Anyway, I follow a county bird sighting group to see what is seen on any particular day, when to my surprise a Hawfinch had been sighted at a site that I visit only once a month. It throws up just the very odd "good" bird at best once a year. 

Work commitments didn't allow me a visit until today, so after six days of repeated sightings I was on site at Tittesworth Reservoir as daylight broke. Half a dozen patch birders were around and within ten minutes I got a sighting of not one but two......  

My camera now resides in Turkey awaiting my visit in early spring so I managed a few shots with a little compact camera on x200. 

Great bird to wake up to on any Sunday morning, was only matched by a low flying Peregrine Falcon directly overhead.

A very very distant Hawfinch sat feeding in a Field Maple tree


The best I could do handheld at x200 and x100 and in poor light




No comments: