Whos keeping an eye on me....

Tuesday 1 March 2016

Water Rail - Rallus aquaticus

always makes me smile seeing the Latin name, its one of the few that I understand and actually makes simple sense.......

A rather shy bird that spends most of its life skulking deep in reed beds or highly vegetated borders of waterways. Heard and not often seen.

I have seen plenty over the years but always fleeting appearances as they scurry between gaps or a long distances away with scope views only.

Yesterday was different as this fella came into full view and fed on the margins of the water for 10 minutes or more. It was always a little difficult looking down a fair way on to it, but the images came out OK


 
 
 


 
and there he goes.......
 
 


9 comments:

FAB said...

Always a joy when you get to see this skulking species and you got some super shots. Well done Dave.

Anonymous said...

Any day that you see such a rail is a good day!

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

A very satisfied looking bird, I'd say!

Stuart Price said...

I've only ever seen one of these. Ever. And I saw it for about 2 seconds.

Liz said...

Lovely shots, Dave! What great markings.

Pam said...

Great photos Dave, i've only ever managed to get a couple of terrible blurry photos!

Linda said...

Beautiful photos, Dave!

Stewart M said...

I know what you mean about the scientific name! (Look up puffin and manx shearwater if you want to see something stupid!)

I had a great run of seeing these at Leighton Moss for a few weeks - which makes up for failing to see Bearded Tits ever!

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

sanpiseth40 said...

Any day that you see such a rail is a good day!


ลา ลีกา สเปน